Role: Program Associate
Duration: July – December, 2022 (renewable)
Commitment: Part-time (output/task based, but as a guideline, we anticipate 2-3 days per week depending on the candidate’s experience)
Location: Remote (ideally in an Asian time zone)
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will close this call when we find the right candidate to fill this role.
About Digital Asia Hub:
The Digital Asia Hub (DAH) is a Hong Kong based independent, non-profit Internet and society research think tank with a focus on the Asia Pacific region. Incubated by the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University and a diverse group of academic, civil society, and private sector partners, DAH provides a non-partisan, open, and collaborative platform for (i) networked research, (ii) knowledge sharing, and (iii) capacity building related to Internet and society issues.
About the Role:
The Digital Asia Hub, Hong Kong, seeks a [part-time] paid Program Associate to support our Platform Futures initiative, along with other ongoing projects on digital infrastructure, future of work, corporate accountability, and AI ethics in Asia. Join our growing team to perform a range of digital media and editorial activities, create new ways to engage with our community, and communicate our work more widely. This role is for an initial 5-month period with a possibility to renew, or to transition to a full-time position.
Why you might be interested:
- The right candidate will be excited about the opportunity to help build the digital presence of an Asian not for profit think tank that has the support of a highly respected Internet and society international community
- They will also have the space to create new media and methods to engage with our existing community, and to grow it further
- This position will provide a rich learning experience that will help the candidate advance their own research interests within this cutting-edge field
- The candidate will play a key role in translating and communicating research outputs to a regional and global audience
- They will have the opportunity to thrive in an environment that encourages independent thinking and creativity, and to interact with a variety of audiences and themes, especially in the APAC region.
What we are looking for:
- Experience working with nonprofits, think tanks, or other academic or civil society organisations in areas such as digital media and outreach (1-2 years) and the motivation for growing a think tank’s digital profile and reach.
- Strong writing and editing skills, ideally with experience managing the social media presence of an organisation (everything from crafting tweet threads and social media tags to newsletter and blog posts).
- Familiarity working with WordPress and Wix CMSs; video and photo editing software programs and applications towards creating a custom look and feel for media outputs.
- Ability to collaborate in a close-knit (but internationally dispersed) team, with collaborative project management, communications, and remote working tools (GSuite, Zoom, Airtable, Miro, etc.).
- Closely related subject matter expertise in law and policy issues (digital rights, AI ethics, platform governance, privacy and data protection, cross-border trade etc.). A degree in law, policy, communication, international relations, or related areas would be great, but a demonstrated interest and experience working in these domains is also acceptable.
What we expect you will do:
- Work with the Project Manager to craft a digital media strategy and use data-driven approaches to monitor growth and inform our approach to engagement and content dissemination.
- Create and support the production of the DAH newsletter that disseminates findings and insights to the global community.
- Support regular content updates from various DAH projects on our websites, Twitter, and YouTube work streams as appropriate.
- Help initiate and support partnerships with the media and other partners, towards amplifying the reach and visibility of project outputs.
- Summarize insights generated from events and activities into post-event updates, summaries, videos, transcripts, etc.
We are looking to fill this position soon. To apply, please send us the following material to Dev Lewis email@example.com
- A CV/resume
- A cover letter demonstrating your interest in the role, and why you’d be a great fit
- Samples of your work that you deem relevant to the role. (maximum of 3)